The Master Key System Part 3 — Fourth Initiate
By Charles F. Haanel
INTRODUCTION — PART THREE
You have found that the Individual may act on the Universal, and that the result of
this action and interaction is cause and effect. Thought, therefore, is the cause, and the
experiences with which you meet in life are the effect.
Eliminate, therefore, any possible tendency to complain of conditions as they have
been, or as they are, because it rests with you to change them and make them what you
would like them to be.
Direct your effort to a realization of the mental resources, always at your command,
from which all real and lasting power comes.
Persist in this practice until you come to a realization of the fact that there can be no
failure in the accomplishment of any proper object in life if you but understand your
power and persist in your object, because the mind-forces are ever ready to lend
themselves to a purposeful will, in the effort to crystalize thought and desire into actions,
events and conditions.
Whereas in the beginning of each function of life and each action is the result of
conscious thought, the habitual actions become automatic and the thought that controls
them passes into the realm of the subconscious; yet it is just as intelligent as before. It is
necessary that it become automatic, or subconscious, in order that the self-conscious
mind may attend to other things. The new actions will, however, in their turn, be come
habitual, then automatic, then subconscious in order that the mind again may be freed
from this detail and advanced to still other activities.
When you realize this, you will have found a source of power which will enable you
to take care of any situation in life which may develop.
- The necessary interaction of the conscious and subconscious mind requires a
similar interaction between the corresponding systems of nerves. Judge Troward
indicates the very beautiful method in which this interaction is effected. He says:
The cerebro-spinal system is the organ of the conscious mind and the sympathetic
is the organ of the subconscious. The cerebro-spinal is the channel through which
we receive conscious perception from the physical senses and exercise control
over the movements of the body. This system of nerves has its centre in the brain.
- The Sympathetic System has its centre in a ganglionic mass at the back of the
stomach known as the Solar Plexus, and is the channel of that mental action
which unconsciously supports the vital functions of the body.
- We have seen that every thought is received by the brain, which is the organ of
the conscious; it is here subjected to our power of reasoning. When the objective
mind has been satisfied that the thought is true it is sent to the Solar Plexus, or the
brain of the subjective mind, to be made into our flesh, to be brought forth into the
world as reality. It is then no longer susceptible to any argument whatever. The
subconscious mind cannot argue; it only acts. It accepts the conclusions of the
objective mind as final.
- If this radiation is sufficiently strong the person is called magnetic; he is said to be
filled with personal magnetism. Such a person may wield an immense power for
good. His presence alone will often bring comfort to the troubled minds with
which he comes in contact.
- When the Solar Plexus is in active operation and is radiating life, energy and
vitality to every part of the body, and to every one whom he meets, the sensations
are pleasant, the body is filled with health and all with whom he comes in contact
experience a pleasant sensation.
- If there is any interruption of this radiation the sensations are unpleasant, the flow
of life and energy to some part of the body is stopped, and this is the cause of
every ill to the human race, physical, mental or environmental.
- Conscious thought, then, is master of this sun centre from which the life and
energy of the entire body flows and the quality of the thought which we entertain
determines the quality of the thought which this sun will radiate, and the character
of the thought which our conscious mind entertains will determine the character
of the thought which this sun will radiate, and the nature of the thought which our
conscious mind entertains will determine the nature of thought which this sun will
radiate, and consequently will determine the nature of the experience which will
- It is evident, therefore, that all we have to do is let our light shine; the more
energy we can radiate, the more rapidly shall we be enabled to transmute
undesirable conditions into sources of pleasure and profit. The important question,
then, is how to let this light shine; how to generate this energy.
- Non-resistant thought expands the Solar Plexus; resistant thought contracts it.
Pleasant thought expands it; unpleasant thought contracts it. Thoughts of courage,
power, confidence and hope all produce a corresponding state, but the one arch
enemy of the Solar Plexus which must be absolutely destroyed before there is any
possibility of letting any light shine is fear. This enemy must be completely
destroyed; he must be eliminated; he must be expelled forever; he is the cloud
which hides the sun; which causes a perpetual gloom.
- It is this personal devil which makes men fear the past, the present and the future;
fear themselves, their friends and their enemies; fear everything and everybody.
When fear is effectually and completely destroyed, your light will shine, the
clouds will disperse and you will have found the source of power, energy and life.
- But the man who knows that he has a Solar Plexus will not fear criticism or
anything else; he will be too busy radiating courage, confidence, and power; he
will anticipate success by his mental attitude; he will pound barriers to pieces, and
leap over the chasm of doubt and hesitation which fear places in his path.
- A knowledge of our ability to consciously radiate health, strength and harmony
will bring us into a realization that there is nothing to fear because we are in touch
with Infinite Strength.
- This knowledge can be gained only by making practical application of this
information. We learn by doing; through practice the athlete comes powerful.
- This is not the only way, but it is a simple and effective way, and the most direct
way, and consequently the way in which the best results are secured. It is the
method which is producing such extraordinary results that many think that
miracles are being accomplished.
- It is the method by which every great inventor, every great financier, every great
statesman has been enabled to convert the subtle and invisible force of desire,
faith and confidence into actual, tangible, concrete facts in the objective world.
- We have found that the subconscious mind is responsive to our conscious will,
which means that the unlimited creative power of the Universal Mind is within
control of the conscious mind of the individual.
- Physical relaxation is a voluntary exercise of the will and the exercise will be
found to be of great value, as it enables the blood to circulate freely to and from
the brain and body.
- Tensions leads to mental unrest and abnormal mental activity of the mind; it
produces worry, care, fear and anxiety. Relaxation is therefore an absolute
necessity in order to allow the mental faculties to exercise the greatest freedom.
- Make this exercise as thorough and complete as possible, mentally determine that
you will relax every muscle and nerve, until you feel quiet and restful and at
peace with yourself and the world.
- The Solar Plexus will then be ready to function and you will be surprised at the
Originally published at https://fourthinitiate.com on November 5, 2020.